Friday, August 8, 2014

SJ Pride!



One of my favorite things in the world is when I meet a person that knows someone from SJ, or even better, has actually visited the "Town of Friendly Neighbors".  Yes, that is the town motto. 

One day at work a Mother to one of my patients asked me where I was from.  When I told her that I grew up in a small town called SJ, her husband sitting next to her immediatly perked up and said "I grew in Round Valley!" With out a second thought, I proudly stated, with a fist in the air,  
"Go Redskins!" 

The look on his face was priceless! He immediately doubled over laughing! He couldn't believe I had said it.  The rest of the day when I would pass by him in the hall, he would just shake his head and mutter under his breath "go redskins". 

Despite living a whole state away from SJ, this happens more often than you'd think. But out of all of my common aquantinces, my favorite one happened just a few days ago. When I got report on  
Mike (not his real name), the nurse had tears in her eyes.  Which sadly, isn't uncommon around here.  He is 27 years old and was diagnosed with leukemia 6 years ago while serving his mission. He is married and has a Masters degree. When I walked in the room, I saw a very pale, thin person laying in bed. He has brittle hair, his skin is taught, and his bones are as hard as wood, all of which are side effects of the advanced disease. But when I introduced myself, a very cheery and happy voice came out! He and his wife were very talkative and full of life.  When I mentioned I grew up in SJ, he said the all too familiar words, "I know someone from there!" He explained he served his mission with a guy who grew up in SJ, which turned out to be one of my good friends in high school. He told several stories about serving with him, all of which made me laugh! He went on to say that he was by far the most influential person he had served with as a missionary.  It gave me a sense of pride for my home-town.  

I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that I didn't get a bit emotional as we talked. One, because he is my exact age. He was my first patient that has been my age. It could've easily been me in that bed, fighting to live. Only by pure chance was it not.  And secondly, oddly enough, that we had a mutual friend. For some reason, it made it more real for me. He wasn't a little kid that I'm so use to caring for. He was my peer. 

Needless to say, when I gave report to the next nurse, I had tears in my eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment